In Northeastern New York we spend a lot of our time in frigid temperatures and covered in snow, so when the warmer weather arrives we want to enjoy as much of the great outdoors as possible. One aspect to keep in mind as the warmer months get closer is defending your landscape against pests such as ticks. If the tick population is not controlled in your landscape they can cause numerous issues including the spread of diseases such as Lyme disease. This task is not something you should face on your own as it can be quite daunting; it is advisable to work with the experienced professionals of Grasshopper Gardens.
Create a Tick-Safe Zone
While the winter weather may have some impact on the pest that want to call your landscape “home”, we cannot solely rely on the weather of a previous season to help control the tick population.
Ways to create a tick-free landscape include:
- Remove taller grass and brush that surrounds the landscape perimeter.
- Install a woodchip, or gravel, barrier between grassy or wooded areas and patios or other outdoor living space items. The barrier(s) will help restrict the tick migration into spaces used for fun or relaxation.
- Spray an application of wood line protectant around the perimeter or your lawn and landscape.
- The landscape will need to be mowed and maintained on a regular basis.
- A granular application of lawn treatment should also be applied to the entire lawn. Our treatment kills ticks no matter what stage of life they are in and ensures prevention for 3 weeks!
Additionally, you may want to consider making your landscape less attractive to animals that ticks live off of.
- Install fencing around the perimeter of your landscape to create a barrier and keep unwanted animals from wandering onto your property.
- Woodpiles and debris are an ideal home for pests and wildlife, having them cleared away can help encourage them to find a home elsewhere.
Contact Grasshopper Gardens
The best solution for your landscape and eliminating ticks is contacting our professionals and allowing us the opportunity to take on the task ourselves. We have been in the Capital District for over 20 years and believe in improving the lives of our fellow community members through maintaining and enhancing outdoor living spaces. Our team has the experience, knowledge, and dedication to give your landscape the professional look it truly deserves. Contact us today to get started!