If you have pests causing subterranean damage, you may be wondering if they are moles or voles. With the names so similar and their damage almost the same, it is hard to tell the difference between these landscape-ruining pests. It is important to know if you have a vole or mole problem, and to do that, you need to know the difference between the two.
Why It Matters
It is important to know the key differences between voles and moles because these pests are not attracted to the same types of baits. Therefore, if you have a vole problem and you use mole baits, those baits you have set will not be effective.
Moles and Voles: The Differences
Comparing moles and voles side-by-side can help you better determine which small pest you have in your yard. If you are unsure, contact a professional for pest control to diagnose the pest and eradicate them properly.
- Diet:Moles are carnivores, which is why they will dine on worms and adult insects. If you notice gnawing damage on plants, it is unlikely your pest problem is a mole. Voles are rodents; therefore, they will vigorously chomp away at trees, shrubs and plants.
- Burrowing: Both moles and voles will burrow; though you may notice more burrowing in gardens and lawns from voles as they gnaw at grass and roots.
Tips to Get Rid of Moles and Voles
Mole and vole control is equally necessary. They leave unsightly holes on your lawn, lurk in the root systems of your gardens and essentially wreak havoc on your landscaping as a whole. Luckily there are ways you can deter them from entering your yard and garden:
- Use Barrier Methods: Digging a trench around your garden may deter voles, while using wire screen mesh to line your garden bed will keep voles from burying into the root systems inside your garden.
- Ultrasonic or Vibration Devices: These devices use intermittent pulses that annoy moles and voles and may chase them away, but they are not cheap.
- Removing the Food Source: The most effective way to get rid of moles is to remove the insects and grubs they like to dine on. A pest control company can spray the perimeter of your home and lawn to deter insects and grubs, leaving a mole with no reason to venture in your yard and search for food.
Control Pests and Rodents
When it comes to Voles vs. Moles, controlling insects is the best way to control rodents. Grasshopper Gardens offers perimeter pest control to remove pests, including ticks, so you have a safer, healthier yard.
Contact us today at 518-793-9623 for a free estimate or submit a form to learn how to get rid of moles and voles.